We’ve been having to change pad locks every few years because rain gets inside the lock and we can not unlock it.
I got fed up and made a little metal rain cover.
Please watch the video to see how I made it:
I started out drawing a basic diagram of what I wanted.
Then measured above the lock and added it to my diagram.
I used a piece of sheet aluminum (because aluminum does not rust) and took off the protective plastic.
I used soap stone to draw out my pattern, carefully measuring everything. Then I added tabs to attach to the wood above the lock
A plasma cutter was used to quickly cut out the shape. I also cut the holes for the mounting screws.
A little work at the bench grinder to clean up the edges and it was time to start bending with my metal brake.
I lightly sanded down the metal, and wiped it off with a clean rag.
Then a quick coat of white paint to blend in with the wood.
My first attempt did not go well…. the screw would not go in at that angle (I should have known…)
So I got a screw driver and marked where to drill my holes. I started with a small bit from the back, then a larger bit from the front. (Just large enough of a small screwdriver)
The install went mostly smoothly… the shallow depth and my large hands… so my wife helped.
The project came out great, and looks good too!